Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

A Little Somethin's Better Than Nothin'!

     Obviously, the beginning of a new regime is often the most difficult part.  You have to make the decision, get motivated, and get moving!  This might require a somewhat drastic change in mindset and lifestyle, as it did for me.  The beginning of a new health and fitness lifestyle is difficult because you probably just want to skip ahead to the point where you start to notice a dramatic difference in your shape and physique!  We've all been there, trust me... However, it will take several weeks and months of dedication before you begin to really see a difference.  You'll feel different immediately, though!  As I said before, I began with small steps and changes.  I started by going to my school's gym between/after classes with a girlfriend and walking/jogging on an indoor track.  With that being said and on a side note, get a gym/workout buddy!!!  It really makes a ton of difference in motivation and performance.  When I first started, I could barely (and I mean barely) jog a mile, and that was alternating walking and jogging.  However, I immediately began to notice a difference in how I felt.  After a workout, I felt accomplished.  I felt that I was beginning to work toward something, and I felt motivated and excited to continue and improve.  My friend and I motivated and pushed each other, gradually adding time and distance to our jogs.  I noticed my endurance and energy gradually begin to increase by the week, literally. It seemed that one week I could only jog a mile, and the next I would do a mile and a half.  I started utilizing the treadmill so I could better maintain and improve my speed.  I would run as long as I could without overdoing it or pushing myself too hard.  Each time, I would run a little longer than the previous time, even if it was only a difference of a few minutes.  That is the key to improving and increasing you endurance -- push yourself a little harder and a little further each time, even if only by a fraction.  I began to look forward to and plan and arrange my workouts around my schedule -- although I was extremely busy as a full-time student and with a full-time job, I found the time to workout.  I got to the point where I got irritated and felt disappointed if I missed a scheduled workout or could not find the time to fit one in.  You will quickly realize that it will almost immediately become part of your habits and lifestyle.  As I said, start with a little and gradually increase -- something is better than nothing when it comes to health and fitness!  The beginning is the hardest, but it's only uphill from there (no pun intended).  Just get moving!  Until next time... J.

No comments:

Post a Comment