Pages

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Winter's Beauty 101: A Few Tips For Staying Fresh and Bright

     As you know, with the cold, dry winter months comes dehydrated, dull-looking skin and a somewhat pallid complexion.  Being a self-proclaimed sun worshiper myself, I always dread the coming fall and winter months, where the lack of consistent vitamin D tends to make me look a little pale and sickly.  There is nothing I love more than a fresh, bright-looking complexion, although this is sometimes a difficult feat in the dead of winter, when the sun tends to hide behind clouds and most time is spent indoors.  However, after many cold seasons of trial and error, I think I have mastered the art of maintaining a bright and hydrated-looking complexion, and keeping that healthy glow we all love so much.  Read on for a few of my cosmetic routines and product suggestions, try it for yourself if you so desire, and behold the glow.
     Moisturizing is key during the harsh and dry months of fall and winter, and should in most cases be done twice a day (morning and night).  For the most part, I tend to have a somewhat oily complexion, and usually use light and oil-free moisturizers.  However, I usually switch to a richer moisturizer during the fall and winter in order to give my skin the moisture and hydration it craves.  Right now, I'm using Alba Botanicals Natural Hawaiian Moisture Cream with smoothing jasmine and vitamin E.  This particular cosmetic line is natural, organic, and 100% vegetarian.  It leaves my skin feeling soft, smooth, quenched, and the subtle fragrance of jasmine flowers is luxurious and relaxing.  Also, I have somewhat sensitive skin and this moisturizer never causes any irritation.  
     Before moisturizing, though, is the key step of cleansing and exfoliating.  I used to cleanse twice per day, but found that over-washing can actually irritate the skin more, and may make it prone to breakouts.  Instead, I use a cleanser at night to rid my face of all makeup, dirt, oil, and impurities.  In the morning, I simply rinse my face with warm water.  Exfoliation is an important and sometimes overlooked step in skincare; its purpose is to gently remove dead, dry skin cells and unveil the fresher, new skin underneath the top weathered layers.  In order to combine the steps of cleansing and exfoliation into one, I use Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Pink Grapefruit Foaming Scrub.  This is one of my all-time favorite cosmetic products on the market -- with its naturally derived grapefruit extract, vitamin C, and microbeads, it gently cleans and exfoliates my skin, leaving it bright and refreshed.  For a little extra glow, sometimes I'll use a little Jergens Natural Glow FACE Daily Facial Moisturizer with SPF 20 -- this is a safe yet beneficial way to achieve a sun-kissed look on the face without hitting the tanning beds (please don't do that)!
     As far as makeup goes, I like to keep it light and simple.  A little Vaseline or petroleum jelly is my go-to product for lips; it's cheap, and gives the lips a full, supple, shiny look -- it looks like you're wearing a $20 lip plumper or gloss, and gives them plenty of moisture and hydration.  A touch of pink or peach blush to achieve a rosy glow is a must, along with curled eyelashes and a little mascara.  Hence, a simple, bright, and fresh face!
     These are a few of my 'tried and true' methods for maintaining a healthy-looking, bright complexion during the cold and dry season.  Don't forget, though, one of the best things you can to is hydrate from within for a quenched appearance on the outside -- drink plenty of water; make sure you are getting at least 64 oz. a day! :)
    

No comments:

Post a Comment